Monday, July 5, 2010

Ridge Forrester has got nothing on this guy!



Bismillah
How do you define romance? In my past life when I was a teenager and the hormones started kicking in and the fantasy world became more intense. The typical fantasy of romance would be the Hero of my dream world would save me from ‘dangerous danger’ and whisk me to an exotic land filled with paradise birds, chirping in beautiful harmonies, and if I were to tone down the fantasy he would be a working man who brings me flowers and chocolates every day, ever the volunteer to massage my feet and have hidden romantic surprises at every turn.
According to the thesaurus romance is a synonym to a story, fiction, legend, fable etc. So why for eons have popular culture and society imposed on us that if your relationship lacks the typical romance, it is as good as a meal for dogs? Why should a relationship hang on a fable? Is it because people like living in fantasy? Why should we spend time torturing our husbands and sulking because they are just not as fiction as Ridge Forrester? Take a good look at yourself honey, you are not Brooke either!
So how do I define romance? Firstly, it was my Mom’s wisdom of forbidding me from watching soapies that lead me to new classifications of romance, which lead to my thoughts, lifestyle and fantasies being in tune with reality. Secondly, now that I am all grown up, I find myself in a reality where flowers wreak havoc with my sinuses and chocolates everyday would send that man out the door as I wholly assume a double bed was designed for two people and not a double person. Thirdly this ‘romance’ thing has to greatly work with your needs and wants in the relationship. I love the occasional strawberries and cream but I prefer my health and the way my size 34 clothes fit more.
In my marriage romance has revealed itself as the helpful hand from my husband when I need it, be it helping me prepare food or wash the dishes, and the way he emphasis on praying and eating together. The honesty, loyalty and support I get from him without even asking for it. The understanding that today my engine could only take me this far and it needs his turbo boost to go on. Yes I do get the occasional chocolate and ‘romantic’ poems and notes, but don’t go thinking the grass is greener on this side!
Nevertheless I have decided I will let my husband love me the way that he wants to love me, and on the day I decided to do that I realised...
Ridge Forrester has got nothing on this guy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment